Re: an over-the-top data center

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 07:20:37 2008

> Gadi,
> I can't help that you need a few nights away in a lovely Swiss Hotel
> in order to help those cynical thoughts lift:
>
> http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,24732642-5014090,00.html

That looks too noisy.  This seems to be a little more upscale.

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-srv/gallery/0803_WeirdestHotels/index.html?jumpToPic=2

Interesting places:

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2008/02/19/AR2008021901535.html

So, an interesting question to contemplate.  Apparently some hotels have
figured out different angles.

Is there a point at which business will start looking at other models for
hosting purposes?  We already have cloud computing, fe.  With data center
prices skyrocketing, it would seem that there might be some advantages,
at least in some cases, to looking at alternatives.  I know that we find
our Equinix rack space very expensive, and that some of the things we do
just aren't worth $50/month/RU or whatever it is we're paying.  Putting
low bandwidth, less critical resources elsewhere seems to be a generally
good idea.  What workable options exist?  We have some clients that have
always maintained their own small server rooms on-site and never gave up
on bringing in bandwidth on T1 or whatever, and this strategy seems to
have worked out for them in the long run, as they've kept resources on-
site.

... JG