Re: an over-the-top data center

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Sun Nov 30 22:50:18 2008

* [email protected] (Patrick W. Gilmore) [Mon 01 Dec 2008, 02:34 CET]:
On Nov 28, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Jean-François Mezei wrote:
The advantage of this swedish data centre is that even if its location is well known, it is pretty hard to harm the building. You can't run a truck full of explosives into it for instance.

Unfortunately, you also cannot run your own fiber there, colo equipment there, visit it for any reason, etc.

I was going to say 'this probably hinders customers adoption at NetNod', but I know for a fact the "probably" is superfluous.

I don't really get your reasoning here, Patrick. What were you going to do? Put your servers in the same racks as Netnod's switches? Rate their patch fiber management skills?

I can buy the argument that there is one bit of infrastructure (a string of dark fiber) more between your router and the IX infrastructure than you will get in other locations but in this age of people connecting remotely to IXPs all the time this seems pretty minor, especially given the box full of advantages it gives the IXP operator regarding facility security and having a very clear demarcation point.

-- Niels.

--
"We humans get marks for consistency. We always opt for
 civilization after exhausting the alternatives."