Re: Origin ASN seen vs Origin ASN in Whois Records Report?

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Fri Nov 21 21:36:03 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Heather Schiller wrote:
I don't know if a report like this already exists, but I haven't been able to find one. Can someone (CIDR Report? BGPMon? PCH?) offer a report that shows the discrepencies in Origin ASN according to the whois records, and routes in the [global/public] routing table?

http://www.pch.net/routing-origin-inconsistency/

From the help page: "This tool identifies inconsistencies between the autonomous systems which the Regional Internet Registries believe are authoritative origins for routing announcements of each IP address prefix, and those which are actually announcing the prefixes to PCH's global network of looking glasses. The tool produces two lists of inconsistent origins: the list at the top of the page, which contains prefixes that are being announced by ASNs apparently unrelated to the putatively-authoritative ones; and the list at the bottom of the page, which contains prefixes with minor or apparently harmless inconsistencies, mainly subsets of large authoritative sets, and different ASNs operated by the same organization."

Publishing it on some regular interval would be even better.

It's updated daily at midnight UTC. We don't presently spam any lists with our various reports and analyses. I guess we could add a subscription feature, though.

-Bill