Re: IPv6 routing /48s

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Wed Nov 19 02:28:30 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:
Check: http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html for a list of
suggested filter expressions that cover all of these correctly.

Unfortunately, the JunOS version of the strict filter is blocking /32's from APNIC region as well. The offending lines are:

            route-filter 2001::/16 prefix-length-range /19-/32;
             route-filter 2001:0c00::/23 prefix-length-range /48-/48;

This is because Juniper uses longest prefix matching in route filters (maybe this is different in cisco, I don't know):

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos92/swconfig-policy/how-a-route-list-is-evaluated.html

As a result, this will end up rejecting legitimate prefixes such as 2001:c00::/32 because then only /48's are accepted from that range.

Unfortunately, I don't know which blocks APNIC has set aside from 2001:0c00::/23 for /48 assignments; based on their web pages, they have policies for at least multihoming, IXs and critical infrastructure. But I couldn't find info which block these are from.