Re: IPv6 routing /48s

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Tue Nov 18 13:00:19 2008

Michael Sinatra wrote:
> On 11/18/08 9:26 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Nathan Ward <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>     I wish them good luck in reaching the DNS root servers.
>>>   They are in "critical infrastructure" space, which is a single /32
>>> with
>>
>> traceroute6 to the ISC's v6 allocation(s) for f-root ... (from inside
>> 701) oh, not working...
>> traceroute6 to ipv6.google.com from inside 701, oh... not working either.
>>
>> vzb's v6 table is far from complete :( which is pretty painful.
>
> And it just reinforces the fear that people have against putting AAAA
> records in DNS for their publicly-accessible resources, especially www.

Having no route is not a problem, you should get a destination
unreachable directly and all is fine because IPv4 should be used as a
fallback.

The biggest issue at the moment with IPv6 for endusers is broken DNS
caches/forwarders that just drop AAAA queries and thus let the client
timeout and then optionally fallback to IPv4.

Wikimedia has also been doing tests like the Google one already for some
while, their results are publicly available here:
  http://ipv6and4.labs.wikimedia.org/

Greets,
 Jeroen

(notice my usage of 'should' here, because other issues will break
 things too ;)