IPv6 routing /48s

  • From: Robert . E . VanOrmer
  • Date: Mon Nov 17 17:46:05 2008

Are there any parties out there routing /48 IPv6 networks globally?  I ran
into a supposed Catch-22 with Verizon and IPv6 address space and was
looking for clarification.

We have been delegated a /48 by ARIN.  We then went out to procure a
native IPv6 T1 from Verizon (*mainly for testing*).  We requested that
Verizon route the /48 that we were provided by ARIN.  Verizon's response
was "they do not route network smaller than a /32".  Fair enough...
capacity planning for all the /48's would give a router a headache with
today's hardware... so we requested address delegated from Verizon's
larger block of addresses to be used for addressing.  The response was
that we could not receive new address space until we returned our ARIN
provided address space...  so in effect, go back and get a /32 from ARIN
or give up on ever owning address space again.

ARIN claims they are seeing /48s routed, at least in their route tables. I
have seen some new momentum on the allocation of /32's, don't know if that
is in response to rules like this??  Would be awefully difficult for our
organization to come up with the rationale to need 65K /48s internally to
justify a /32.

revo