Re: McColo: Are the 'Lights On" at Telia?

  • From: Matthew Moyle-Croft
  • Date: Sat Nov 15 23:30:27 2008

Is the spam SMTP meant to be originating from the McColo ranges or is it being used to control other machines elsewhere?

If they're originating the SPAM then is it sufficient for a transit provider to provide service but block tcp 25/465 etc and make then pass outbound email to something capable of cleaning it? Or are they doing more than just SMTP?

Alternatively it seems a strategic advantage for a large amount of spam to originate from a single location with a small range of IP addresses. We could all just block tcp 25/465 at our borders for their ranges and/or just to our mail clusters. Although the last might leave customer mail servers vunerable, but at least no one could accuse us of filtering them (sore point in Oz at the moment!).

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks