Re: NTP Md5 or AutoKey?

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Sat Nov 15 17:19:09 2008

> On Nov 4, 2008, at 3:11 AM, Glen Kent wrote:
> > My original question got drowned amidst all this vibrant discussions!
> >
> > Do folks already use or plan to use Autokey for NTP?
>
> In my experience most people have a hard enough time remembering to
> run ntp at all (and with an even remotely sane configuration - this is
> why a sane default using the ntp pool is helpful as a baseline).   Add
> authentication into the mix and many operations will almost certainly
> just have even more mis-configuration. :-)

One of the things to lament is that it is so hard to find any reasonable
examples of how to set up various configurations in a secure manner.
There is voluminous documentation.  Some of it is dated.  Some of it is
contradictory.  Most of it assumes at least general familiarity with the
topic.

Accurate time/NTP is, on one hand, fundamentally important to a variety
of needs, but on the other hand, is usually implemented just "well
enough."

... JG