RE: OSPF with Multiple ABR & ASBR

  • From: Darden, Patrick S.
  • Date: Fri Nov 14 12:28:04 2008

It is my understanding of OSPF that, if you have paths with equal distance and cost to a destination, load balancing happens automatically for up to four (or is it 6 for OSPF?) clear paths.  In your diagram R1 to R8 load balancing should happen naturally, unless you have weighted one of the paths.  You have much more than 4 paths here, so you should weight the ones you want.  E.g. 1-2-4-6-8, 1-3-5-7-8 would be the most straightforward, and barring some type of natural concentration of bandwidth (e.g. R3 having 10X the hosts connected that R2 has) it would be the easiest to implement.  This only applies to coequal routing (e.g. all links are T1s).  If you are doing unequal routing I think you are out of luck.  I would stick to two paths if possible for simplicity's sake.  OSPF can become a quagmire if you let it.

So, first step is weight your chosen paths equally, and make sure they are preferred over other possible paths.

Second step is to decide what kind of load balancing you want: per packet, or endpoint.  If you set it up per packet, you get equal load balancing with the chance of out-of-order packets on the other end.  It can also take up a lot of the router's cpu resources.  If you decide on endpoint load balancing you will almost always have one path taking the majority of the traffic--e.g. all traffic to the file sharer will take path1 and all traffic to the ntp server will take path2, and path1 will definitely be more heavily loaded.  To properly balance by endpoint takes some micromanagement.

Depending on your router, you turn ip route cache on for endpoint balancing, and turn it off to enable per packet balancing.

Cisco has something called CEF which I have never used, which supposedly enhances OSPF load balancing--uses special algorithms to speed it up.

--p