Re: [funsec] McColo: Major Source of Online Scams andSpams KnockedOffline (fwd)

  • From: Chris Lewis
  • Date: Thu Nov 13 11:39:50 2008

John Bambenek wrote:
> Something to keep in mind.  I don't believe it was McColo that was the
> end provider of "badware" per se (and I could be proven wrong), they
> simply played the enabling role by hosting it and looked the other way.
> Now don't get me wrong, they ought to be kicked offline for
> externalizing their costs on the rest of us, but what criminal charges
> could be filed here?

Aiding and abetting and conspiracy come to mind at the very least.
Knowingly facilitating child porn should have quite a few possiblities too.

But they're really hard things to prosecute on the Internet, in the face
of the plausible deniability shields they work at so carefully to erect.

> That said, of course this information should be turned over to law
> enforcement.  It often is.

Don't assume it hasn't already.  Previously.  Repeatedly.  And I don't
think the dust has quite settled yet.