Re: [funsec] McColo: Major Source of Online Scams and Spams KnockedOffline (fwd)

  • From: Jay Hennigan
  • Date: Wed Nov 12 17:00:38 2008

Jason Ross wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 14:16, Nick Newman <[email protected]> wrote:
How many cops does it take to throw a community lynching?

None. The question that remains is: Why is the community having to resort to lynching?

I think we're using the wrong metaphors here. A community lynching would be storming his datacenter and setting his servers on fire. That didn't happen.

A better metaphor would be a rowdy patron in an upscale bar attempting to deal drugs and being tossed out by the bouncer. Although dealing drugs is illegal, the people in the bar are more concerned about getting rid of the jerk than throwing his butt in jail (although that would be nice as well).

If law enforcement is busy with gang warfare in another part of town, their priority in responding to a rowdy in a bar is going to be low, especially if there's a bouncer who is capable of dealing with the problem.

-- Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - [email protected] Impulse Internet Service - http://www.impulse.net/ Your local telephone and internet company - 805 884-6323 - WB6RDV