Re: [funsec] McColo: Major Source of Online Scams and Spams Knocked Offline (fwd)

  • From: Brian Keefer
  • Date: Wed Nov 12 13:21:14 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 7:52 PM, mike wrote:

Since 11/5, my spam load has dropped from about 400,000 attempts per day to less than 40,000 ! And most of this I had noted was comming from what looked like compromised web hosts - eg: same host/ domain name representing 10 or 20 addresses in any given range). I am shocked at the sudden and dramatic downtick but also equally delighted! Way to go!

Gadi Evron wrote:

Via Security Fix.

[snip]

A U.S. based Web hosting firm that security experts say was responsible for
facilitating more than 75 percent of the junk e-mail blasted out each day
globally has been knocked offline following reports from Security Fix on
evidence gathered about criminal activity emanating from the network.

We noticed a very sudden 50% reduction yesterday. Now to see how long it lasts...

--
bk