RE: hosted PBX/VOIP thru VPN?

  • From: Tim Sanderson
  • Date: Tue Nov 11 22:24:29 2008

Yes, dissuade him. If anything a VPN will add latency unless possibly gear is replaced to provide the VPN that is significantly greater than current. But... if a provider en-route decided to "slow down" competing voice traffic, the VPN would hide it from the filters which might make it seem like voice traffic was speeding up. Of course that is a major "if".

Shouldn't take much to lab it, and show the customer the difference in quality, if any. Regardless, if the customer insists, it's billable so why not you than someone else. Just make sure said customer knows that you are not recommending the solution and why. If you implement the VPN and voice quality does not improve, you are covered.

--
Tim Sanderson, network administrator
[email protected]