Re: hosted PBX/VOIP thru VPN?

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Tue Nov 11 21:26:05 2008

On 12/11/2008, at 3:17 PM, Lorell Hathcock wrote:

All:

My customer wants to try to improve performance to his ATAs by creating a
VPN from his network to the VOIP provider's network through the internet.

Thoughts? Should I try to dissuade him from this if performance is his main
motivator?

Yep.

I've done this sort of thing to get around NAT problems, that's about it.

Perhaps their theory is that a VPN gives them a "private" network, and they've heard that "private" networks do VoIP better.
Obviously, a VPN doesn't give you control of the packets on the wire like a private network does, so that theory doesn't work.

--
Nathan Ward