Re: ECN

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Nov 07 12:31:30 2008

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 08:27:58 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson said:
> for ECN to actually be useful, we (the ISPs) have to turn this option on
> in the routers as well. Is anyone doing this today? What vendors support
> it?

The only thing that's *required* for it to help is that the routers and
firewalls not actually *molest* the bits in the TCP SYN packet.  If you pass
them and *do nothing else*, it at least has the potential of being useful at
some other router along the path.  And let's face it - if *your* router is
congested enough for ECN to matter, there's a fairly good chance that the
router one hop up/downstream is *also* seeing some effects. Even if *you* don't
do anything else, your neighbor might - helping you out in the bargain.