Re: Internet partitioning event regulations (was: RE: Sending vs requesting. Was: Re: Sprint / Cogent)

  • From: William Herrin
  • Date: Wed Nov 05 17:33:08 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Larry Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Which government?

First, let me say that I think peering regulation is a terrible idea.
No matter how cleverly you plan it, the result will be that fewer
small companies can participate. That's the character of regulation:
compliance creates more barriers to entry than it removes.

That having been said, jurisdiction is a red herring. Every
transit-free provider does at least some of its business in the United
States. Economic reality compels them to continue to do so for the
foreseeable future. That's all the hook the Feds need.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ [email protected]  [email protected]
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004