Re: MPLS for IPv6

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Tue Nov 04 18:46:03 2008

On 5/11/2008, at 11:36 AM, Daniel Roesen wrote:

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 02:53:46PM -0600, devang patel wrote:
Does any vendor support the MPLS for native IPv6 network?

Unfortunately noone of the major vendors have yet implemented MPLS control plane via IPv6 transport. From my understanding, the protocol specs are there, just no implementation.

So for now, you still have to use IPv4 for the MPLS network control
plane and must either forward IPv6 natively dual-stack alongside IPv4,
or transport IPv6 via 6(V)PE.

"no customer demand", as usual. It's just us weirdos trying to do such
things. :)

Correct, LDP etc. must all be done at IPv4.
That can do the MPLS label bits, and IPv6 can then be carried inside MPLS.

If you use 10.0.0.0/8 for numbering your point to point links, you get 4-8M links, dependant on whether you do /30 or /31.

I don't imagine that represents a problem for many people.

--
Nathan Ward