Re: On the subject of multihoming

  • From: Colin Alston
  • Date: Tue Nov 04 15:47:31 2008

On 2008/11/04 10:32 PM Charles Wyble wrote:
Obviously as they are consumer connections, I wouldn't get a BGP feed so would need to download a copy, which has the risk of stale data. Perhaps some sort of multihop BGP setup?

I have done some research and found a lot of references to small site multihoming without BGP for link redundancy but not for traffic engineering.

I've played with that before. Essentially just EBGP Multi-hop with next-hop rewrites on various community prefixes. Of course I had access to a donor feed, that is probably the largest hurdle.

There is good use in general for a public no-distribute feed but I have yet to find such a thing. Is there a reason for that, or could I bribe my datacenter to give me a feed and then create my own public server with some el-cheapo Quagga and a bag of rainbows for hope?