Re: Sprint v. Cogent, some clarity & facts

  • From: Larry Sheldon
  • Date: Tue Nov 04 13:45:31 2008

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

From a technical standpoint, the Internet is always suffering from multiple
political failures. This leaves it vulnerable to small technical failures it
could otherwise route around.

See above. I do not think it is a "political failure" that I do not give you free transit.

We3 have, I think, a reality failure.

The terminology comes from ARP and UUCP days.

The reality comes from today, where traffic flows, as a maximum, between nodes that think there is something it for them to allow it to flow.

If a packet has evidence of "fare paid" flows.

End of story.

The difference between "peer" and "transit is the coin used to pay the fare.