Re: Sprint v. Cogent, some clarity & facts

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Tue Nov 04 12:30:47 2008

* [email protected] (Tomas L. Byrnes) [Tue 04 Nov 2008, 17:51 CET]:
The concept of "Transit Free" is a political failure, not a technical one.

Yeah, networks should be free! And Cogent, if they don't get access to Sprint directly, should just set a default route over some public IX where Sprint is also present at to reach their network!! And then hack their routers to do likewise.

The protocols are designed, and the original concept behind the Internet is, to propagate all reachability via all paths. IE to use Transit if peering fails.

Yeah, the original concept of the internet. Like classful IP routing.

Not doing so is a policy decision that breaks the redundancy in the original design.

Because the original design totally had in mind established players locking out cheaper newcomers and explicitly specified a maximum band where prices for transit had to exist inside of.

Please stop it. We've had enough.

-- Niels.

--
"We humans get marks for consistency. We always opt for
 civilization after exhausting the alternatives."