Re: NTP Md5 or AutoKey?

  • From: Glen Kent
  • Date: Tue Nov 04 03:47:45 2008

I dont think this is correct.

I have seen routing protocol adjacencies going down because of some
perturbations in NTP. I understand, any router implementation worth
its salt would not use the NTP clock internally, but i have seen some
real life issues where OSPF went down because the time moved ahead and
it thought that it hadnt heard from the neighbor since a long time.

All such bugs were eventually fixed, but this is just one example.

There is an emerging need to distribute highly accurate time
information over IP and over MPLS packet switched networks (PSNs).  A
variety of applications require time information to a precision which
existing protocols cannot supply. TICTOC is an IETF WG created to
develop solutions that meet the requirements of such protocols and
applications.

Glen