Re: routing around Sprint's depeering damage

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Sun Nov 02 10:20:10 2008

James Jun wrote:
As much as we blame Cogent and Sprint for breaking the internet, I also have
no sympathy for individual single-homed downstream customers on either
networks. If you are complaining about Sprint<->Cogent depeering and have
customers demanding for your mission-critical services, then you are just as
negligent to not have multihomed before all of this happened. ...

Ah yes, I suspect we can get all the network operators here to agree that any customer of another ISP should buy a second connection "just in case". Maybe this breakage will turn out to be the best way for everyone to double their customer base overnight.

But seriously, it shouldn't be necessary to have two connections at work, two connections at home, two connections for each mobile device, just to ensure that when large providers stop working together you can still reach what you need to reach.

Matthew Kaufman
[email protected]
http://www.matthew.at