RE: Peering - Benefits?

  • From: Paul Stewart
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 12:38:58 2008

Hey Patrick...

Thanks for playing devil's advocate...  I am truly trying to cover both
sides of the discussion - technically it's what we want for sure but the
top of the food chain looks beyond just what a technical team wants to
do as I'm sure we're all plagued by sometimes ...

In our specific case, after factoring in ALL costs in an extensive
analysis - transit and peering end up very close .. peering being a very
slight amount above transit in our case.  At the end of the day it's
almost a moot point from a cost perspective (you can tell I'm not a bean
counter lol)

I would argue though that even with 4 transit providers (which we have
now), that peering is an excellent venue to take on - even for the
time/management involved.  Of course that opinion I can only speak for
our situation in that regard..;)

Appreciate your input - and I agree though that peering isn't for
everyone... definitely...

Take care,

Paul