Re: question on BGP aggregation

  • From: Ricardo Oliveira
  • Date: Wed Oct 22 23:31:31 2008

the ASes in the AS_SET resulted from merging 2 or more AS_PATHS, you only know at least one of them is connected to AS3 ...
more details at rfc4271:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4271.txt

"An AS_SET implies that the destinations listed in the NLRI can
         be reached through paths that traverse at least some of the
         constituent autonomous systems.  AS_SETs provide sufficient
         information to avoid routing information looping; however,
         their use may prune potentially feasible paths because such
         paths are no longer listed individually in the form of
         AS_SEQUENCEs.  In practice, this is not likely to be a problem
         because once an IP packet arrives at the edge of a group of
         autonomous systems, the BGP speaker is likely to have more
         detailed path information and can distinguish individual paths
         from destinations.
"

--Ricardo