Re: Network topology [Solved]

  • From: Colin Alston
  • Date: Wed Oct 15 14:35:44 2008

On 2008/10/15 06:29 PM Colin Alston wrote:
Is there any kind of cunning trick to detect standard layer2 switches along a path without stuff like STP?

Apparently there isn't. Lots of people mentioned other tools, the problem there is they have one thing in common which is polling SNMP. I think it scales badly in general. I was hoping to find a more intelligent way of, I guess, doing an ARP/MAC based traceroute by checking LLC 802.2 headers or something. Yes, it might have been easier if I hoped for it to rain money :)

Maybe there should be something (I mean like, someone should come up with a standard :P) to trace switches in a path... Problem is I think even then the simple devices won't bother to support it.