Re: Peering for beginners

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Sat Oct 11 08:37:21 2008

On Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 02:43:19PM +0300, Konstantin Bezruchenko wrote:
> Our comapny going to build some peering POP across USA, and i really
> don't know where is the best place to have first POP?

Where's you're traffic going to, or coming from? Without knowing that, it's
hard to say...

Take a look at netflow, flowtools, etc, and work out where large chunks of
your traffic is going. Then research at peeringdb.com to work out which
networks are likely to peer with you, and which peering exchanges they're
present at. Then look at the cost of transport from your existing POPs to
the peering points, and work out which ones it's financially viable for you
to reach.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *