Re: Some odd harvesting going on?

  • From: Brian Keefer
  • Date: Thu Oct 09 10:37:13 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 6:37 AM, Michienne Dixon wrote:

<snip>
I too think C-R spam 'prevention' is the lazy-mans approach at filtering
spam. People can easily create their own whitelists based on their
maillogs or mailhistory.
<snip>

Unfortunately, I feel the majority of the solutions offered cater to the
non-technical. The process of simplifying often results in a product
that requires the least amount of hands-on from the end-user. Coupled
with the fact that the average end-user is not interested in learning a
process that takes more then 5 paragraphs to explain and more than 10
minutes to implement (without some sort of "wizard") and I think we have
a good idea why the layman's approach is so prevalent.

There are many, many other solutions that satisfy these requirements without massively inconveniencing everyone who tries to send you e-mail.

I can only attribute the persistence of C-R as a method for combating spam to the fact that a sufficiently small percentage of humans will believe in *anything*, no matter how ludicrous it is.

Hopefully this provides some motivation to those few who still cling uselessly to C-R to go out and spend 15 minutes researching advances in anti-spam technology in the last 5 years. Perhaps they will pull themselves out of the stone ages and stop irritating everyone.

--
bk