Re: cnn.com - Homeland Security seeks cyber counterattack system (Einstein 3.0)

  • From: Jean-François Mezei
  • Date: Sun Oct 05 15:17:34 2008

I have a big problem with politicians making technical decisions that
may look good at the politicial level but make no sense at the technical
level.

"fighting back" implies that your own facilities will be busy pinging
thousands of bots to death around the world. Yeah, smart. Looks good
during a politician's speech, but in reality, what good does "fighting
back" do when the remote computers won't be hurt by it ?

I think the speech would have far more credibility if the politician had
used terms such as "dynamic protection against attacks" where the
network would reconfigure itself dynamically to block attacks etc etc.