Re: Google's PUE

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Oct 02 15:30:34 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Daniel Golding wrote:

I am really skeptical of this, Patrick. PUE's of between 1.2 and 1.3 - sure. But below 1.2 on an annual basis? And its not even their newest facility. Color me skeptical.

I said "NO @*&@#-ing WAY!!!". :)

Just presenting info. If someone has more detailed information, or a rebuttal, I bet the collected audience would love to hear it.

Personally, I am glad GOOG is posting their PUE. People who talk about additional metrics are correct - more information is better. But some information is better than none, and PUE is a perfectly valid data point. It doesn't measure everything, but that does not make it completely useless. Given Google's history of .. shall we say reticence regarding internal information, it's nice to see SOMETHING from them. So let's encourage it and see if they release more.

--
TTFN,
patrick