Re: Google's PUE

  • From: Andy Grosser
  • Date: Thu Oct 02 10:27:06 2008

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:10:37 -0400
From: Marshall Eubanks <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Cc: NANOG list <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Google's PUE

I am going to attempt to determine our PUE, using the methodology described in the Google paper. One must figure that "in the spirit it was intended" has to factor in the natural gas consumption, otherwise my PUE would be about 0.1. :)

If you generate energy for your microturbine from a land fill (free methane gas) your PUE would be nearly zero. Obviously PUE can be skewed and shouldn't be considered as a single metric for anything other than a press release.

I would also suggest that Alex shouldn't hold is breath on more details. The details provided are interesting, but without context.

Indeed. If they would refuse a visit to Cory Doctorow writing for Nature, I don't think we should hold our breath at
all :

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080903/full/455016a.html

Ack! US$32 for the article. :-)

---