Re: Cisco interface - GB of transfer software

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Tue Sep 30 11:58:33 2008

Daniel Senie wrote:
MRTG provides graphs of usage, but I'm not aware of it providing a monthly total usage (or 95% or other) in report form (though would be happy to learn otherwise).

Does ntop provide a way to generate a monthly report?

I believe the others posting are interested in this from a billing perspective. I share their interest.

Cacti and MRTG both have support for rrdtool backends. How the rrd is processed is up to you. A simple script to poll data and do some basic math and email the results, or generate a graph. Cacti has several plugins for sending reports. MRTG users tend to just script additionals. It's not as gui oriented as cacti, IMO.

Each has pros and cons. If you have a sound internal php/mysql setup, cacti is a breeze and the plugin php scripts are cute for the non-techies.

-Jack