Re: the Intercage mess

  • From: David W. Hankins
  • Date: Thu Sep 25 11:44:19 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:24:17AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> John Bambenek wrote:
> > When there is no law to speak of all that is left is tribal justice.
>
> this way lies lynch mobs

Maybe mobs, but not (Charles) Lynch mobs.  No one wants to deprive
anyone of life or limb.

> shall we at least apply a veneer of civilization?

I think the current state of the art in civilized, peaceful,
extralegal negotiation of reasonable behaviour expected of businessmen
and their peers is a form of social ostracism given its name in 1880
when the Irish Land League bade everyone in Mayo county, Ireland not
to engage economically or otherwise with Captain Charles Boycott...a
land owner who had set his rent very high, and was evicting anyone who
deigned to complain of it (fully within his legal authority, but
outside the realms of what the people saw as reasonable).

If anyone can think of better, we'll have to call it "Intercaging".

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/