RE: hat tip to .gov hostmasters

  • From: Lindley James R
  • Date: Mon Sep 22 14:51:06 2008

To digress on IPv6 momentarily.

The airline magazine engineering memorandum* from OMB left two terms
undefined in the mandate; "backbone network" and "IPv6 compatible."  The
Intra-agency IPv6 Federal Working Group wisely defined "backbone
network" as (paraphrasing) the wire exiting the first publicly-reachable
network perimeter router and entering the router next in the line of
traffic and all devices attached to that wire between those two points
as follows:

{Internet}->|router|<-connecting wire---IPV6-[firewall, IDS,
etc.]-IPV6--connecting wire->|next router in line|->NO IPV6-----...

NIST is still working on "compatible."

*Airline Magazine Engineering Memorandum:  a mandate issued by an
executive who can.  The memorandum has four characteristics; 1) It
mandates a technology not well understood by either the issuer or the
recipient of the memo, 2) it sets a date certain by which the technology
must be implemented, 3) it provides no funding, and 4, it contains one
or more undefined terms whose exact meanings are absolutely crucial to
actual implementation of the mandate.  Source of the inspiration that
originally convinced the issuing executive that they actually understood
the scope and technology of the mandate is inherent in the title of this
paragraph.

JimL
James R Lindley
Senior Computer Engineer
Advanced Technical Analysis Team
IT Security Architecture and Engineering
Internal Revenue Service
An unquenchable thirst for Pierian waters.