RE: hat tip to .gov hostmasters

  • From: marcus.sachs
  • Date: Mon Sep 22 11:17:56 2008

DNSSEC is not a PKI.  There are no CAs and no X.509 certificates.  It's a chain of trust that can be validated using public/private key pairs.  OK, that's oversimplification but you get the idea.

While we wait for applications to become DNSSEC-aware, if your local DNS server can be trusted (a big "if" of course) then it can proxy the DNSSEC awareness for you.  Since nearly everybody trusts a local DNS server to resolve queries, then making that server DNSSEC aware is an enormous step forward, even if the actual applications and operating systems on end-user computers are not fully DNSSEC-aware and won't be for many years to come.

Marc