Re: Atrivo/Intercage: Now Only 1 Upstream

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 10:45:03 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:07 PM, David Ulevitch wrote:
Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Sep 17, 2008, at 1:32 PM, David Ulevitch wrote:

At the end of the day, nobody is going to drop packets for amazon's IP space.
I'm afraid reality disagrees with you - there already are networks doing it.
Being big does not guarantee you ability to do Bad Things.

I didn't imply that it did.

Actually, that is exactly what you did.

But the ability to block without causing significant collateral damage becomes more and more difficult as IPs become less tied to the organization using them.

True (and rather obvious). Here's another obviously true statement: As more & more spam comes from a set of IP addresses, it becomes less & less likely you should accept e-mail from that space.

That said, you're right that people are doing it now. Consensus from friends running their apps on EC2 is that you can't expect to be able to send any email from EC2 and hope for a high deliverability rate.

Not news to anyone who works on anti-spam or e-mail deliverability. Perhaps the collateral damage will force Amazon to get things fixed faster.

Or maybe not, but either way I don't see how you can blame someone for not wanting to accept e-mail from EC2.

--
TTFN,
patrick