Re: Atrivo/Intercage: Now Only 1 Upstream

  • From: Christopher Morrow
  • Date: Wed Sep 17 13:07:23 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Gadi Evron <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Skywing wrote:
>>
>> Putting things in the automated bogon feeds (e.g. Team Cymru) that are not
>> strictly bogons (unallocated addresses) is likely to very quickly erode
>> trust in those services, if that is what you are suggesting.
>
> We all want a "really really bad stuff" BGP feed for anyone who wants it,
> but the Internet is not ready for that.

hrm, so actually there's a lot of supporting infrastructure that is
necessary (or could be necessary) to implement something of that sort
in any decent sized network. Provided you wanted to sinkhole the
trafffic off somewhere to 'do the right thing' not just null0 the
traffic, of course.

There's the additional issue of allowing a third party to
manage/traffic-engineer inside your network which might upset some
operations folks. If you can build a list on your own in a reasonable
fashion with supporting information and high confidence level that's
one story, if this list comes from "someone else" whom you don't even
have a billing-relationship with... it's hard to sell that when
something bad happens.

Certainly not everyone feels this way (see 'popularity' of the
existing RBL/xbl lists) but in a larger network, or one that makes
money ...

How about providing some open-source intelligence in a centralized and
machine-parsable fashion (perhaps with community input of intel even)
which would allow better decsions to be made?

-Chris