Re: LoA (Letter of Authorization) for Prefix Filter Modification?

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 10:24:59 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Christian Koch wrote:

I dont mind, i think it is another good step towards 'good filtering'
but...i think the PITA part is
downstream 'clueless' customers, who may need an explanation on prefix
hijacking and the state
of the internet today, and that these are all just combined efforts to
minimize the risk of accepting allocations
that don't belong to you.

IMO, it's just an illusion of added security and is really just CYA for the provider. When I fax TWTelecom an LOA that a customer faxed to me, how does TWTelecom verify the authenticity of that LOA? I doubt they try. I suspect it's just filed, and will only be pulled out if the advertisement is challenged by some 3rd party.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |