Re: LoA (Letter of Authorization) for Prefix Filter Modification?

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Tue Sep 16 09:56:39 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Rodriguez, Mauricio wrote:

Recently, one of our Transit providers has started requiring a Letter of Authorization for addition of any of our own Transit customers' prefixes to their filters. The verbiage of the LoA basically states that the owner of the assignment or allocation (not necessarily our customer) allows us to advertise their prefixes through our service.

Is this a common practice? Our past experience indicates that a simple request to a NOC or update of a routing registry usually is sufficient.

It's not unheard of. Most providers don't require it, but I have run into a few who do. It's a minor PITA compared to the web interfaces some providers make you use to request filter updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Jon Lewis | I route Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________