Re: community real-time BGP hijack notification service

  • From: Matthew Moyle-Croft
  • Date: Sat Sep 13 01:48:46 2008

Arnaud de Prelle wrote:
I think that most of us (me included) are already using it but the
problem is that they don't have BGP collectors everywhere in the world.
This is in fact a generic issue for BGP monitoring.
In this case it's very important to have a lot of collectors broadly distributed listening in many ASes.

For example:

If I know there are two BGP collectors driving this service, and they're in, say, AS701 and AS1239, then if I wanted to do a partial hijack (which might be good enough for my evil purposes) then I could advertise a path which had those ASes stuffed in it and prevent downstream collectors in AS701 and AS1239 from learning the hijack path.

So the more we get the best it is and that's why I'll be using Gadi's
BGP monitoring tool (and any other that might come) in parallel with the
one provided by the RIPE.
Hear hear for Gadi and others offering these tools.

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks