Re: community real-time BGP hijack notification service

  • From: Andy Davidson
  • Date: Fri Sep 12 10:07:54 2008

On 12 Sep 2008, at 13:49, Nathan Ward wrote:

On 12/09/2008, at 10:42 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:
Hi, WatchMy.Net is a new community service to alert you when your prefix
has been hijacked, in real-time.
I just had a quick play with this, as I've been considering hacking together something similar.

Everyone with any interest in this topic should look at the MyASN service from the RIPE NCC (which I use and think is brilliant).

http://www.ris.ripe.net/myasn.html

"
The MyASN service notifies network operators when a prefix is announced with an incorrect AS path. An AS path is seen as incorrect when it does not match with a regular expression. As not everyone is familiar with regular expressions, MyASN provides several easy ways to define typical checks, like "the origin of this prefix must be AS x" or "the origin of this prefix must be AS x and transit may be provided through y or z". However, as any AS path regular expression can be set, the MyASN service is suitable for regular expressions gurus as well.
"

To address Nathan's point, I recommend the RIPE service because for such a service to be ubiquitously useful, it needs to have many eyes (a view of routing tables at lots of points on the internet) which is where the very well peered situation of RIS comes into effect. At the last RIPE meeting I think i saw RIS had over 600 peers, which it collects at internet exchange points all over the world.

best wishes Andy