Re: InterCage, Inc. (NOT Atrivo)

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Thu Sep 11 18:52:59 2008

>> In the internet world, mass depeering / de-transitting like we've
>> see in this instance is akin to capital punishment.  By vigilantes.
>> The US Old West redux.
> Connecting to my network is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.  You lose a
> criminal case, you lose rights (e.g. freedom to walk outside).
> Disconnecting you from my network is not denying any of your rights.
>
> There is no law or even custom stopping me from asking you to prove
> you are worthy to connect to my network.  You don't want to prove it,
> that's your right, just as it is my right to not connect to you.
>
> Mind if I ask why you think you have any right to connect to my
> network if I do not want you to do so?  For _any_ reason, including
> not showing me "legit" customers, political affiliation, or even the
> color of your hat?

amidst all this high flyin' political theory discussion of rights, there
is an elephant in the room.  as conditions to merger/purchase, there
were legal restrictions placed on one or more significant operators
regarding [de-]peering (i.e. your statement above is significantly
incorrect).  my altzheimer's device tells me that those restrictions end
2008.12.31.  expect change.

randy