Re: Cisco uRPF failures

  • From: Jo Rhett
  • Date: Thu Sep 11 13:27:12 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:

On (2008-09-11 00:50 -0700), Jo Rhett wrote:
As someone who does a lot of work talking to NOCs trying to chase down
attack sources, I can honestly tell you that I haven't talked to a
single NOC in the last 16 months who had BCP38 on every port, or even on
most of their ports. And the majority response is "our (vendor) gear
can't handle it". As we both know, Cisco is the largest by far vendor
in the marketplace, and I've heard that name more than 70% of the time.

Sound like these shops are using 3550 as router, which is common for smaller shops, especially in EU. And indeed, 3550 would not do uRPF. (3560E does).

I don't honestly know. I do know that in every case it was mentioned to me it was either a 6500 or a 7600.
(that it was a Cisco anyway)

But frankly, lack of uRPF doesn't mean that BCP38 is impossible. My generation of Force10 gear can't do uRPF. Yet we are BCP38 compliant.

--
Jo Rhett