Re: why not AS number based prefixes aggregation

  • From: Jean-François Mezei
  • Date: Mon Sep 08 22:21:31 2008

Paul Francis wrote:

> AS, or even dozens.  So I'm curious...if we could wave a magic wand and
> control the exact number of entries any AS needs to advertise, what would
> folks consider to be roughly the right number of entries?

Wouldn't this greatly depend on the span/breath of your network ? If you
are a large nationwide (or even international) ISP/network, then you
want to be able to distribute your network so that someone on west coast
trying to reach one of your west coast IP addresses will have a pretty
direct route into your west coast infrastructure instead of funnelling
all traffic into one central location.

But a smaller ISP based in only one city would not need to distribute
traffic through different entry points since traffic from each transit
provider would end up on the same router.

So I am not sure one could draw any "right number of entries".