Re: why not AS number based prefixes aggregation

  • From: Ricardo Oliveira
  • Date: Mon Sep 08 13:11:16 2008

Topological aggregation based on ASN is often too course granularity, see this paper:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rveloso/papers/giro.pdf
specifically Fig4 is a good example, and sec 4C.
Cheers,

--Ricardo

On Sep 8, 2008, at 6:20 AM, yangyang. wang wrote:

Hi, everyone:

For routing scalability issues, I have a question: why not deploy AS
number based routing scheme? BGP is path vector protocol and the shortest
paths are calculated based on traversed AS numbers. The prefixes in the same
AS almost have the same AS_PATH associated, and aggregating prefixes
according to AS will shrink BGP routing table significantly. I don't know
what comments the ISPs make on this kind of routing scheme.

-yang