Re: BCP38 dismissal

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Sun Sep 07 03:19:23 2008

Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:24 AM, James Jun wrote:
>> Indeed... In today's internet, protecting your own box (cp-policer/control
>> plane filtering) is far more important IMO than implementing BCP38
>> when much
>> of attack traffic comes from legitimate IP sources anyway (see botnets).
> I'm sorry, but nonsense statements such as these burn the blood.  Sure,
> yes, protecting yourself is so much more important than protecting
> anyone else.
>
> Anyone else want to stand up and join the "I am an asshole" club?

normally i would have just hit delete.  but your ad hominem attack on
the messenger need a response.

the reality of life is that he is correct in that "attack traffic comes
from legitimate IP sources anyway."

therefore, your first duty should be to keep your hosts from joining the
massive army of botnets.

randy