Re: ingress SMTP

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Sep 05 04:35:33 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Simon Waters wrote:

If the ISP blocks port 25, then the ISP is taking responsibility for
delivering all email sent by a user, and they have to start applying rate
limits.

MUAs should stop sending email via 25 and use 587 or equivalent instead. There is little actual reason why someone should be able to send TCP/25 SMTP email from a residential connection when most software support authenticated TCP/587 submits.

We don't allow most of our residential customer base to speak SMTP TCP/25 to anywhere at all (and we have millions of them). Wish more ISPs would do the same.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]