Re: BCP38 dismissal

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Sep 04 16:30:50 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Jo Rhett wrote:
On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:24 AM, James Jun wrote:
Indeed... In today's internet, protecting your own box (cp-policer/ control
plane filtering) is far more important IMO than implementing BCP38 when much
of attack traffic comes from legitimate IP sources anyway (see botnets).

I'm sorry, but nonsense statements such as these burn the blood. Sure, yes, protecting yourself is so much more important than protecting anyone else.

Anyone else want to stand up and join the "I am an asshole" club?

"I'm an a??hole!" :o) (lotsa folks get corporate "bad words" filters, here).

Seriously though, everyone should take care of their own end first. The problem is Jo doesn't seem to be in the loopon attacks from recent years, but I am unsure he would change his mind if he was/

Gadi,

Do you really want to suggest to people that they not implement BCP38?

--
TTFN,
patrick