Re: Force10 Gear - Opinions

  • From: Paul Wall
  • Date: Thu Sep 04 13:08:48 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Jo Rhett <[email protected]> wrote:
> You added a third SFM3 which has no place to go in this chassis.

No, I did not.  I did, however, list it as a point of reference for
a-la-carte analysis.

> So $52,500 versus $62,240 for the Cisco.

No, $65000.00 vs $62240.00.

> Then you need to add recertify cost, which isn't cheap.  And given that you
> can purchase Force10 stuff *NEW* at 60% discount, you're pitting new against
> used for similar prices.

Yes and no.  Level3 might have an aversion to running random refurbs
in production (just using them as an example, they also might not :).
Smaller hosting or SP shop represented on the list, "not so much".

And 60 points off Cisco is possible, even for small shops with some
negotiating ability.

Drive Slow,
Paul Wall