Re: ingress SMTP

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Wed Sep 03 11:50:39 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:46 PM, *Hobbit* <[email protected]> wrote:

> What I'm trying to get a feel for is this: what proportion of edge
> customers have a genuine NEED to send direct SMTP traffic to TCP 25
> at arbitrary destinations?  I'm thinking mostly of cable-modem and

Not too many - they got themselves port 587 to submit outbound mail.

Read the maawg managing port 25 document - and while you are at it
read the walled garden doc too.. port 25 abuse is the least of your
worries with cable/dsl cpe swamps

http://www.maawg.org/port25
http://www.maawg.org/about/whitepapers/MAAWG_Walled_Garden_BP_2007-09.pdf

--srs