Re: GLBX De-Peers Intercage [Was: RE: Washington Post: Atrivo/Intercag e, w hy are we peering with the American RBN?]

  • From: Justin Shore
  • Date: Tue Sep 02 18:08:06 2008

Paul Ferguson wrote:
My next question to the peanut gallery is: What do you
suggest we should do on other hosting IP blocks are are continuing
to host criminal activity, even in the face of abuse reports, etc.?

Seriously -- I think this is an issue which needs to be addressed
here. ISPs cannot continue to sweep this issue under the proverbial
carpet.

Is this an issue that network operations folk don't really care
about?

IMHO policy should only be dictated by the edge, never upstream of that point. Now whether the edge is defined as the edge provider or the actual end-user is up for debate. I don't want my upstreams to make a decision what my SP and thus my customers can get to. My customers can't contact my upstream and argue for listing or delisting a given IP like they can with me. They can't speak with their dollars to my upstream like that can with me, their edge provider. Then again should I as the edge provider filter for my customers? Value-add service or a bonus service? It depends on your point of view.

Justin